About Spack Consulting - A Note from Mike Spack, P.E.
Welcome to Spack Consulting - The Traffic Study Company. We have evolved since Jane and I started Traffic Data Inc. in 2001. TDI started as a simple moonlighting business doing traffic counting. Quickly, I began doing consulting work and TDI became a full-time job. While I was teaching a senior level civil engineering design class at the University of Minnesota, it sunk in how big an impact civil engineering has on our quality of life. I decided to spin off Spack Consulting from TDI in 2007 to focus my efforts on traffic studies where I can make the biggest difference.
For us to make the world a better place with Spack Consulting, we have to have clients who will pay us to do their studies. Consulting is a simple business – do what you promise on time and within budget. It amazes us how many firms fall down on these basics. We work hard on these basics. We've never missed a deadline or gone over budget. It is so ingrained in our culture, that we offer a satisfaction guarantee.
If we don't deliver, we might be out of a job. Most consultants are terrified to back up their promises like this because they know they don't deliver every single time. So how do we make sure we deliver every time? First, we employ only great people who fit our culture. In fact, someone may be competent but will be asked to leave if they don't fit. Second, we are big believers in "habits." We deliver our projects in the same manner every time. This includes:
- Quality - We provide superior traffic analysis on every project. Nothing else matters if we don't provide the best possible analysis. This means we do not work outside of our areas of expertise; we refer that work to other experts.
- Scoping - Defining a clear scope of work. A big part of this is never over-promising results.
- Budgets - Doing our work lump sum – impossible to go over budget! This puts a large burden on our project managers to deliver each project in a profitable manner while delivering quality. Our burden, not our clients.
- Deadlines - Managing reasonable deadlines and always working to comfortably beat those deadlines.
- Communications - Having protocols for communication before, during, and after a project.
We enjoy a high level of repeat business and referrals from our clients because we deliver what we promise — every time.